Friday, February 12, 2010

FORA.tv - Smile or Die: The Tyrany of Positive Thinking

Barbara Ehrenreich talks about her recent book, Bright-sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America (known in England as Smile or Die: The Tyrany of Positive Thinking).
Barbara Ehrenreich, the renowned political activist, journalist, and author of the bestselling expose Nickel and Dimed, visits the RSA to explore the tyranny of positive thinking and its role in any number of our current social and political ailments.

Is there something wrong with a society that tells us we can have what we want if only we focus hard enough, adopt a relentlessly positive outlook, and really, really hope for it? What kind of example does the plethora of self-help books and motivational speakers set in a practical world of markets, job losses and random, unpredictable events? Does our self-analysing, "think positive" therapeutic culture prevent us from approaching problems by banding together in a practical and efficient way? Can change in the world really be brought about by such an individualistic and self-directed approach?

In highlighting the distinction between thinking positively and taking positive action for change, Ehrenreich urges a move away from an inward-looking, apathetic society, and toward a more pro-active and realistic one.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm curious as to what your view of Barbara Ehrenreich is? I look at your quote by Buddha - We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thought. With our thoughts, we make our world - and it seems to be the antithesis of her argument.
I gravitate to the Buddha and the "as a man thinketh" approach because that has been my bridge to a remarkable, conscious life. That life is filled with ups and downs, glorious wins and devastating losses and I am thrilled to say I wouldn't change a thing. It all propelled me to make the choices that got me to where I am today.

william harryman said...

Hi David -

Good question. For me, it's both/and, rather than either/or.

I believe that we have tremendous power to shape our experience in how we think and feel - but that power ends at the boundary of our skin (thus, to me, the "law of attraction" in the law of wishful thinking).

I also believe that when we are told that we have no reason to be unhappy, no reason to be depressed, because all we have to do is change the way we think, that we have diminished our humanity. For most of us, it simply is not that easy, or we'd all be fully enlightened Buddhas.

So I agree with Barbara Ehrenreich in part - I think we should be focusing more on ACTION, on DOING, rather than wishing or thinking. She's dead on with making clear "the distinction between thinking positively and taking positive action for change."

Positive psychology is good for already healthy people - who have done a lot of inner work and shadow work - but most people need a lot more than that to be really happy.

Peace,
Bill