Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Mark Walsh Reviews the Integral Life Practice Book

I have a copy of this sitting on my stack of books, waiting to be read. For now, here is Mark Walsh reviewing the Integral Life Practice book.
If you like or want to be good at everything - this is the book for you.

OK, so we can't be really good at everything, but we can develop a good overall view of our present situation and develop some practices to improve it. “Integral Life Practice - A 21st Century Blueprint for Physical Health, Emotional Balance , Mental Clarity and Spiritual Awakening” is a new book by Mr Wilber's gang and the most complete answer I've seen to the question of how to develop in a balanced way. As the book's title suggest, an emphasis is placed on long-term practice in diverse realms. I met Terry Patten, one of the authors in London a little while back and liked the guy.

First off I'd like to acknowledge ILP’s predecessor - George Leonard's Integral Transformative Practice at this point. This was followed by the Integral Institute’s own ILP starter kit, by many accounts an overprized box of balls. The invention of ILP aimed to make the Integral world less about geeks who couldn’t get laid and just talked quadrangledmetachartevolutionofconciousness theory and more about people actually doing something to improve matters, so this book is long overdue if the Integral species is to breed let alone evolve. Now I don’t want to be too hard to the Integral Institute as I LOVE their theory of everything. It has changed my life over the last two years profoundly and I use it as the central model for my business and life (one thing). The book contains one of the clearest most assessable descriptions of integral theory I have come across and does a concise job of explaining how human history, consciousness, biology, psychology, spirituality, God, and other little things like that fit together. For that alone I’d recommend it.
Read the whole review.

No comments: