Saturday, September 08, 2007

Gotta Love College Football

Two of my friends are Michigan alumni, so I won't gloat. But suffice it to say that Michigan is not the team people thought they were before the season began. After a close but historic loss last week to Appalachian State, they were dismantled by my Oregon Ducks this week. To be honest, I thought Michigan's offense would overwhelm a questionable Ducks' defense, but they didn't look too questionable -- they bend, but they don't break.

No one thought much of the Ducks this year, picking them to place in the middle of a loaded Pac-10 conference, but they appear to be a powerful team, especially offensively. If the defense keeps playing well, they could make a run at the Pac-10 title. They should jump into the top-25 after this week's game.

Speaking of teams getting no respect, my other favorite college team is the Washington Huskies (can you tell I grew up and lived most of my life in the Pacific Northwest?), who were picked to finish among the bottom teams in the Pac-10. But today they came out against #22 Boise State, a team with the longest current winning streak in Division I-A football, and beat them.

Gotta love college football.


No comments: