Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Golden Globes

It's award season again. There's already been a whole bunch of these lists, but the Golden Globes is one of the biggies, so here is the list of winners.

MOVIES

Film, Drama: "Babel"

Actor, Drama: Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland"

Actress, Drama: Helen Mirren, "The Queen"

Musical or Comedy: "Dreamgirls"

Actor, Musical or Comedy: Sacha Baron Cohen, "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"

Actress, Musical or Comedy: Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"

Director: Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"

Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"

Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"

Foreign Language Film: "Letters From Iwo Jima"

Animated film: "Cars"

Original Song: "The Song of the Heart," from "Happy Feet" (music and lyrics by Prince)

Original Score: Alexandre Desplat, "The Painted Veil"

TELEVISION

Drama series: "Grey's Anatomy"

Actor, Drama: Hugh Laurie, "House"

Actress, Drama: Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer"

Comedy series: "Ugly Betty"

Actor, Comedy: Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"

Actress, Comedy: America Ferrera, "Ugly Betty"

Miniseries or Movie: "Elizabeth I"

Actor, Miniseries or TV Movie: Bill Nighy for "Gideon's Daughter"

Actress, Miniseries or TV Movie: Helen Mirren, "Elizabeth I"

Supporting Actor, Miniseries or TV Movie: Jeremy Irons, "Elizabeth I"

Supporting Actress, Miniseries or TV Movie: Emily Blunt, "Gideon's Daughter"

Cecil B. DeMille Award: Warren Beatty
Let's hope this means Scorsese will win the Oscar as well. How strange to see Clint Eastwood win for best foreign language film. I heard a bit of Sasha Cohen's acceptance speech on the radio going into work this morning. I can't believe he got away with that.



And, oh yeah, Hugh Laurie is great in an otherwise mediocre show.


2 comments:

Steve said...

If "House" is mediocre, and I think it's too intelligent to be that, what in tarnation is "Grey's Anatomy," which seems to me to be less-than-mediocre fluff? For drama that is anything but mediocre, you have only to look at such riveting and challenging dramas as "The Shield."

william harryman said...

Hey Steve,

I like House, but it's a bit predictable a lot of the time (not the diagnoses, but the drama itself). I've never seen Grey's Anatomy, so I have no opinion. The only shows I watch regularly are Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, House, Veronica Mars (don't ask -- need some comic book escapism sometimes), and Family Guy/American Dad (because I'm a sick man).

I don't have cable or I'd probably never watch network TV aside from Aaron Sorkin and Josh Whedon shows.

Peace,
Bill