Monday, July 31, 2006

Ken Wilber Is Very Ill

This was just posted at KW's blog:

July 31, 2006 20:48

Dear Friends,

I have some extremely unfortunate news to report concerning an incident that happened late last Sunday night (July 23rd). The following letter—written by Ken to the I-I managers—explains a series of unfortunate accidents that have left him not that much far removed from functionally quadriplegic. Without assistance, he can’t stand up, walk around, sit down, lie down or any other of the 100 simplest actions. We believe that he will make a recovery but we expect it to take six months to a year. The following e-mail is self-explanatory, and is the very first thing he wrote about his situation. You will see the humor and wit and Lightness with which he carries even these difficult things. Please stay tuned to the site, and we will give you more of the medical facts as they become available. But we wanted to rush this early announcement as soon as we possibly could. Below the letter you will see that we have included five photographs of his pretty badly smashed up body.

Some people have wanted to know if they can get Ken presents or make some sort of contribution in his name to a charity. Ken has requested that if you are not a member of Integral Institute, please become one and if you already are please make as many gift memberships for your friends as you can. Click this link to Join I-I

-Clint


-------------------------------------------------------------------


Dear Friends,

I believe Colin conveyed to you that I was not only sick, I was sicker than he’s ever seen me. And frankly, I don’t wish to alarm any of you, but I feel a hell of a lot sicker than that. In other words, I think he was being polite in order not to scare you. Here’s what happened: I have indeed been having a pretty bad REDD/CFIDS flare-up with suffocation and a raging fever. Late Sunday night, I was still planning on making it to the ILP Seminar (Integral Life Practice Seminar), difficult as it would be, because I love working with you guys and I know it means a lot to people to have us all show up. About two o’clock that night, I got up to go to the bathroom and basically slammed face first, hard, right into the edge of the open door, which of course did smart. Things then accelerated because it in a sense knocked me out and I fell on the floor, this time landing primarily on my left shoulder, and it appears that I now have a rotator cuff injury in that shoulder as well.

But the fun continues. Wanting a good yuck that night, apparently what happened when I fell to the floor from smashing myself in the face, the primary thing that was hurt was indeed the left shoulder, but it sent shockwaves all the way across my back, blew out a disk and re-injured my right shoulder, the one that I hurt so badly last year. Rebecca generally stays in Boulder on the nights she works, I called and she came out and was shocked at my appearance because first of all, when I landed on the floor, I apparently also landed on my face, that thing of beauty, and fashion photographers the world over were heard to weep. Dr. Mike of course wanted me to go to the ER immediately, but unfortunately, my experience of all the doctors at the ER is they just tell you that you are going to die, and heck, I can stay home and face better odds than that. Nevertheless, Mike wanted me to go to the ER with him, and I told him that I would be glad to do so when he gets back next week.

Okay, here’s the bad news: I basically have no use of either of my arms. I can’t stand up. I can’t even get out of bed. I can’t even roll over in bed. Fortunately I can still think, which is good, but things are so bad I actually had Colin make out my will. I don’t know how long this will last judging from the damage to my right arm, which was relatively mild in comparison. We’re looking at probably the better part of one year. Of course I presumably could have surgery but for both arms that would be a recovery period of six months minimum. Plus, it means I have to go back to that place where they keep telling you you're going to die. Plus, have you seen the decor at those places? All I have to say is that Oscar Wilde is reputed to have said on his death bed, "Either these drapes or I have just got to go!" Anyway, will keep you posted.

Sending much love,

Ken

I send him blessings for an ease to his suffering and a quick recovery. No human should have to suffer such pain and debilitation.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wonder if this is Karma or destiny!