Wednesday, May 10, 2006

In Defense of Integral Eclecticism

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image taken from What Is Integral Spirituality?, (click to enlarge).

The choice is often tough: choose one tradition and totally immerse oneself in it, following all the rules and reading all the scriptures of that path; or take a little of this and a little of that from whatever we find that serves our own unique path.

Jay at Pagan Bodhisattva is pondering that question in a recent post, Traditionalism AND Integral Eclecticism. After weighing the benefits of each choice, Jay asks: "Why can’t we have both attitudes, embodied in different practitioners?"

This is my reply, slightly expanded from what I left in the comments at his fine blog.


I think we can have both in the same practitioner. Using the language of Spiral Dynamics, each meme in our meme stack has its own needs as far as spiritual expression is concerned, so how we address those needs will look different at each level. If we are fully first tier in our religious/spiritual development, then we will likely choose one path and stay with it, until we reach Green, when all things become relative and we then might want to do some meditation, go to mass on high holy days, observe the major pagan celebrations, and chant some Sufi prayers -- or whatever combination someone might choose.

For example, I feel a kinship with shamanism that feeds my Purple and Red memes. Some of the shamanic practices and ways of being in the world support a sense of being connected to all things, to being part of the web of life.

However, my primary practice is Tibetan Buddhism, which feeds my Blue structured/traditionalist meme and my Orange individual/rationalist meme. Those specific memes need stability and structure for my practice (Blue), a sense that there is a higher order to life in the Kosmos (Blue some more), and a path that allows me some freedom and self-expression (Orange) while working in a system that makes sense to my rational mind (Orange some more).

I also do a lot of stuff based in humanistic and transpersonal psychology that feeds my Green meme. This meme also sees the whole bountiful offering of spiritual traditions and feels fine taking a little of this and a little of that -- whatever feels (Green is all about feelings) nice to me.

The whole collection of practices feels integral to me and feeds my Yellow meme need to use whatever works to get me to the next level. As one enters into second tier, especially the individualistic Yellow meme, the focus is on whatever can make sense of a chaotic world. This meme wants to find a synthesis of ideas that feeds my need for spiritual growth and still honors each of the lower memes' needs for expression.

As I attempt to become more integral over time, my practice deepens, and I feel as though I am making better progress on my path. I think those who have known me well over the past two years or so (since I've really focused on growth) can see the difference. I can't say this would work for everyone, but it seems to be working for me.

Del.Icio.Us Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take a similarly eclectic approach to my spiritual practice; but there is a problem, and a serious one, with that approach. Think for a moment how you approach writing or weight-lifting, Bill.

In order to be effective in either practice you submit willingly to an over arching notion of "coherence" and an internalization of the basic rules and structures of the practices with which you must rigorously abide in order to reap benefits.

Squats? Deadlifts? They're so hard! Your face gets so red when you do them and you sweat and feel fatigued! Why not do some gardening or walk the dog instead? Many people, believing themselves to be following an excellent workout plan, make their choices in just such a way. Of course, you, having studied deeply into the pros and cons and facts of exercise, and having joyfully (presumably!) surrendered to the harder path, see that it's just ego which makes such a facile choice, not "following my bliss", or "listening to my own needs," or "what's right for MY body" or whatever the wimped-out green meme phraseology might be.

Likewise with writing: you can dispense with punctuation, logically flowing discussions, aesthetically relevant poetry choices, and attractively presented literary/philosophical materials: but will that be good writing? Effective writing?

Anyway, I'm making the point that I'm realizing that my ego has sort of cherry-picked from different traditions, and then, when a particular discipline frustrates me for some reason (too damn hard! rewards not quick enough! yuck: boring!) I can easily slide to another aspect of my "spiritual practice" all the while congratulating myself on my "eclecticism." Hmmmm....

Kai in NYC

william harryman said...

Kai,

I hear what you're saying, but I don't really ditch my main practice if it feels hard (though I suspect some people do). I am a Buddhist, specifically a follower of the Shambhala path (and I'd make it official if I could ever attend a local training), and that is my path for better or worse, in sickness and in health . . . .

I do the other things to address issues that my main practice doesn't (subs, prayer, etc.). But I never stop being a Buddhist even when it feels like it will take 1,000,000,000 more lifetimes to figure this sh!t out. And it feels that way most days.

I do think that ego can lead us astray. For example, I quit doing therapy in February thinking that I needed a break. The reality was (and my therapist tried to get me to hear this) that I was on the verge of a breakthrough on something we had been working on for months. So I quit anyway.

The tough stuff that Kira and I went through might have been averted had I stayed in therapy and done that work instead of nearly messing up our relationship as a catalyst to do the work. Ego led me astray big time on that.

I used to be more the kind of person who moved from one thing to another. I (my ego) called it curiosity or short attention span, but it was when things got tough, or felt too slow (I want it NOW!), or too raw (hated to feel feelings) that I moved on to another practice. I'm not sure what changed, although I think reading Pema Chodron a few years ago really made a difference. She's all about sticking with it, no matter what comes up -- it's all a part of the process, and the process is crucial.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

If you would ever want to contribute a post (or posts) to the IOC, please drop me a line. I really value your insights.

Peace,
Bill